Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

I had seen My Sister's Keeper before, but yesterday it still made me cry when I watched it again. In fact I was thoroughly pulled into the book too. Not that the story is relevant or personal to me in any way. Although I do have a love-hate relationship with my sister, but that's a different story all together since she is not sick or dying or anything. and huh thank God for that!...

I first came across the book in London and bought it right away. Can't remember why but I only made it half way through, though. Then a friend borrowed it and never returned it back..
However, being the 'avid-book-buyer' I am, I bought a second one from MPH a year ago and a collection of other Jodi Picoult's books too, just because they had pretty nice homogeneous covers which made me feel that I need to own them, all... Hehe

because...I DO judge books by its covers (and people by the way they look, sorry). I mean come on don't lie, we're visual beings after all, no?

Anyway..Ok so now since I've read the book cover to cover and watched the movie thrice, I can tell you what's it about!

Ever heard of a designer baby?

My Sister's Keeper is the story of an 11 year-old (13 in the book version) Anna, who was born for a very specific purpose: to help her older sister, Kate. She was created as a perfect genetic match to Kate. and for her whole life she was made to donate blood and bone marrow to help fight Kate's leukemia. Until at one point, when Anna is expected to give away a kidney to Kate, she decides to sue her parents for medical emancipation and regain control over her body and her life.

all the way through,
the film adaptation wasn't exactly true to the book. They boasts a completely different ending by making it Hollywood-esque of course which is easier to accept and kinda more expected but no less heartbreaking *sobs*

well yeah if you need a good cry, get the book and sorry you can't borrow mine (coz believe it or not I have already bought half-a dozen of some same book, twice) or watch the movie if you're too lazy to read, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment