Monday, December 5, 2011

Single versus married life

When I don't write, I read :)
and thanks to my hardcore googling skill, I found a cute story via islamicexperiences.com that has made my day, today!!

One dark night in the streets of Istanbul, Turkey walked two strangers and clashed into one another.

It was no other than Single Life and Married life. They both come across one another. Married life falls on the ground and single life yells at him. "Hey! Can't you see where you are going?"

Married Life remains silent and starts walking towards his destination. Single life stands right there looking at Married Life walk in pain. He realizes his mistake and how rude he was to him in anger. While moving forward he steps on to something. He looks at the road and finds a cellphone. He calls out to Married life and goes after him.


He apologizes to Married Life and gives him his cellphone. Married life says, "It's alright. I have learned to be patient especially when someone is angry. Don't worry about it. I forgave you already".

Single life looks at him in amazement. "How come? I have never seen any of my friends forgiving me like this. I am no one but a stranger to you. Besides, I was so rude to you. You fell on the road! Aren't you angry with me? You are so patient! May Allah bless you!"

Married life smiles and thanks him for returning his cell phone. He looks at single life and asks him what's wrong. Single life looked upset and frustrated.

Single life: Let's go sit down at the bench. I will tell you.

[Married and single life both sit down together.]

Single life: I don't know. It's just life is getting nowhere for me. I go to the university in the morning and work in the evening. I always feel something is missing in me. Something is quite not right about the way my life is going. I feel lonely all the time although I have so many friends. I could go to a party with so many people around but I don't feel happy. I feel alone. That's all. Nothing much really.

Married life: You should get married.

Single Life (falls off the chair): "Aaaah what?" What did you say?

Married Life: Yeah! You should get married. Marriage is half your deen. It looks like you are missing your other half.

Single life: Oh! I don't know. Are you married?

Married life: Yes.

Single life: MashaAllah it must be nice! You have a companion for a life. You are so lucky!! Life must be so good for you?

Married life: No! It's not the way you think it is. Before when I was single, I used to look up to the married couples. When it was my turn, I was so excited. After marriage, I hated my decision. When I was single, I had so much fun. I had time for my friends. I could play video games all day, come home at night. I had so much freedom. After marriage, my whole life changed. I had to become so patient and it's nothing about me. I fell in love and all I can think of is how to give happiness to my other half. There is no "me" anymore. I can't even go out wherever I want. I have to tell my wife everything. It's such a drag. Single life was so much better.

Single life: You mean after I get married, I would prefer my single life over married life? I think you are wrong!!

[Single life and Married life get into an argument]

Married life: Okay, you want to get married then?

Single life: Yes!! Absolutely!! I want to get married inshaAllah. Life would be so easy.

Married life: It takes more than that. Life is never easy. The day I got married, my wife always woke me up for Tahajjud prayer even though I as so tired from work!!

Single life: How did you feel after praying Tahajjud?

Married life: I actually felt good and more closer to Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala.

Single life: Okay.

Married Life: I don't like my wife's cooking? She doesn't know how to cook. She makes me go on a diet and gives me all healthy food!!

Single life: How were you when you were single?

Married life: I was fat but now I am in good shape Alhamdulillah.

Single life: Hmm…How does your wife treat you?

Married life: She takes good care of me. I have no complains. She tells me everything and I admire her honesty.

Single life: Then? What is wrong with your life?

Married life: Yeah…I never thought of it that way. My life is better than yours.

Single life: Do you know how miserable I feel?

Married life: No I don't. Listen, today I learned something from you and you learned something from me. We both have Alhamdulillah. Make lots of Dua's. InshaAllah get married soon. Marriage teaches you things that you never would have learned by yourself. It completes you. At times when I don't wake up for Fajr prayer, my wife would wake me up and I do the same for her. We both help each other with our mistakes and try to get better. If I do wrong, she tells me. When she does wrong, I tell her. I do not like to hurt her feelings so I say it in a kind way. The best part is we understand each other. My wife takes good care of me. At times we do fight, but at the end of the day we are together. I cannot imagine myself without her.

[Tears come out of Single life's eyes.]

Single Life: I am so getting married soon inshaAllah and I will invite you. Jazak Allahu Khayran.

Married Life: May Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala grant you a pious spouse Ameen



"God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches you by means of opposites, so that you will have two wings to fly - not one."- Rumi


1 comment: